Re: The Suggestion Box

Rules and Regs for TMN
Aaron
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Aaron »

that's why it took me awile to find it
WARNING the above post does not reflect my views or the views of TMN in any way.
Luke
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Luke »

Great suggestion, I never even tried Googling us.
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick »

[quote=""MikeOly""]Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right thread for this (although I strongly believe it is) but since it appears this thread is live, I'm gonna post it here anyway.

I'm not sure what the site ownership's feelings on membership / publicity are...

But this site is not currently being archived / located by the major web search services in the way you would expect. I have to assume this means that the appropriate meta tags are not applied, or that the site is being protected / blocked from being located in this way.

Searching "WVU message board", "WVU Mountaineer Message Board", "WVU Nation", "Mountaineer Nation", "The Mountaineer Nation", and numerous other likely search terms DO NOT retrieve this site.

Searching "themountaineernation.com" does, but its highly unlikely that anybody is going to search the exact name of the site.

You also don't get the site if you search "discuss mountaineer football" or "WVU recruiting" or "Mountaineer recruiting."

The fact that TMN doesn't show up when searching these common terms (all of which describe TMN, and that you might HOPE would show the site) means that WVU fans looking for a place to come, aren't going to come here because they don't KNOW about it.

So that more or less limits the membership to spreading word-of-mouth. That may be the intention of the site administrators, or it may not.

But I just figured I would pass this along, in case it was something people hadn't thought about / discussed.

I know that, while I love this site, I wouldn't mind some more WVU fans to share it with. And I know that if I were a WVU fan, and didn't know about this site, I would really have been dissapointed to find that a search for a site like this turned up only other sites like BGN and crap.[/quote]

We are paying for google analytics, and have a search word account set up thats capped at 50.00 a month with nearly all of the search terms you've included. Apparently its not enough to compete with the big boys, but the bottom line is, that's all I can slide by the wife at present so that's what were working with!
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator
Status: We got a German here who wants to die for his country! Oblige him!

Post by Kevin »

[quote=""MikeOly""]Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right thread for this (although I strongly believe it is) but since it appears this thread is live, I'm gonna post it here anyway.

I'm not sure what the site ownership's feelings on membership / publicity are...

But this site is not currently being archived / located by the major web search services in the way you would expect. I have to assume this means that the appropriate meta tags are not applied, or that the site is being protected / blocked from being located in this way.

Searching "WVU message board", "WVU Mountaineer Message Board", "WVU Nation", "Mountaineer Nation", "The Mountaineer Nation", and numerous other likely search terms DO NOT retrieve this site.

Searching "themountaineernation.com" does, but its highly unlikely that anybody is going to search the exact name of the site.

You also don't get the site if you search "discuss mountaineer football" or "WVU recruiting" or "Mountaineer recruiting."

The fact that TMN doesn't show up when searching these common terms (all of which describe TMN, and that you might HOPE would show the site) means that WVU fans looking for a place to come, aren't going to come here because they don't KNOW about it.

So that more or less limits the membership to spreading word-of-mouth. That may be the intention of the site administrators, or it may not.

But I just figured I would pass this along, in case it was something people hadn't thought about / discussed.

I know that, while I love this site, I wouldn't mind some more WVU fans to share it with. And I know that if I were a WVU fan, and didn't know about this site, I would really have been dissapointed to find that a search for a site like this turned up only other sites like BGN and crap.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up Mike. I had the Meta tags in the main page and must have deleted them during a site update. I'll put them back in place and let the Google bot work its magic. I hadn't even noticed that they were gone.
We will be cruel to Pitt.  And through our cruelty they will know who we are.  And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us.  And Pitt won't be able to help themselves but imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands and our boot heels and the edge of our knives.  And Pitt will be sickened by us.  And Pitt will talk about us.  And Pitt will fear us.
MikeOly
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by MikeOly »

This is why I post -- to be useful to somebody once every 45 months.

BTW -- TMN will show up on Google right now if you search "Mountaineer Nation", but not till the 2nd page.

"WVU football" "WVU message board" and so on, TMN doesn't show up at all (at least not in the first dozen pages or so that I've looked at, I'm not going 100 deep and neither is anybody else).

So I'm not sure if it's fixed, or how to fix it, etc.

PS -- there may be some kind of camper out there f-ing with the domain. Yahoo only wants to give me a "mountaineernation.com" (missing "the" at the start) and when you try to go to that page, there's nothing. Nothing will load. I dunno what is up with that.

Anyway, this is where I get out of my league, and gtfo before I confuse myself. Carry on the good work Generals of the Nation.
Oliver Luck: Why? Why is that impossible? You're so concerned with squabbling for the scraps from the BCS' table that you've missed your God-given right to something better. There is a difference between us. You think the people of this state exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with victory. And I go to make sure that they have it.
roopoo
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Post by roopoo »

It is also funny to note that when you search for mountaineernation, the other website comes up. Seeing as that phrase is banned from that website, its interesting to note that they are so paranoid at losing site traffic that they apparently have added this website in their search terms.

I should note I used MSN Live Search, I didn't try any other searches, just the one that was available to me at work.
EERCrazy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by EERCrazy »

a section to catalog our "TMN exclusives" like all the back interviews and mang's articles.......
Make all the jokes you want about dirt roads, poor education and bad teeth, but WVU pulled the rug from under everybody and got what it wanted now and that was out of the Big Least immediately.
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

[quote=""EERCrazy""]a section to catalog our "TMN exclusives" like all the back interviews and mang's articles.......[/quote]

articles.htm

Ask and ye shall receive. It is also accessible through the Articles link on the left side of the main page. I know that page isn't pretty but it will be beautified when the rest of the site gets an update. More on that later...
We will be cruel to Pitt.  And through our cruelty they will know who we are.  And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us.  And Pitt won't be able to help themselves but imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands and our boot heels and the edge of our knives.  And Pitt will be sickened by us.  And Pitt will talk about us.  And Pitt will fear us.
ShartOnPitt
1st String
1st String

Post by ShartOnPitt »

Why does the time show up as an hour behind? Did it not adjust for DST? For instance, it is actually 11:03 when I posted this.
Aphetto
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Aphetto »

[quote=""ShartOnPitt""]Why does the time show up as an hour behind? Did it not adjust for DST? For instance, it is actually 11:03 when I posted this.[/quote]
You have to change DST in your "user control panel".
Big 12.  Big East.  Same stink, different pile of crap.
ShartOnPitt
1st String
1st String

Post by ShartOnPitt »

[quote=""Aphetto""][quote=""ShartOnPitt""]Why does the time show up as an hour behind? Did it not adjust for DST? For instance, it is actually 11:03 when I posted this.[/quote]
You have to change DST in your "user control panel".[/quote]

Y'all are high maintenance.
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

[quote=""ShartOnPitt""][quote=""Aphetto""][quote=""ShartOnPitt""]Why does the time show up as an hour behind? Did it not adjust for DST? For instance, it is actually 11:03 when I posted this.[/quote]
You have to change DST in your "user control panel".[/quote]

Y'all are high maintenance. [/quote]

This is on my fix list. Like we don't have enough clocks to reset already. The server should do it for you and it will.
DT
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by DT »

[quote=""ShartOnPitt""]Why does the time show up as an hour behind? Did it not adjust for DST? For instance, it is actually 11:03 when I posted this.[/quote]
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17&start=30

Tells the whole story about the clock and time change.
When you lose to Kansas, you lose your job!!!
ShartOnPitt
1st String
1st String

Post by ShartOnPitt »

[quote=""Pabst""][quote=""ShartOnPitt""]Why does the time show up as an hour behind? Did it not adjust for DST? For instance, it is actually 11:03 when I posted this.[/quote]
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17&start=30

Tells the whole story about the clock and time change.[/quote]

Read, read, read. All day long...

Gracias Pabst!
EERCrazy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by EERCrazy »

We need an option to remove our own posts if we wish....
Make all the jokes you want about dirt roads, poor education and bad teeth, but WVU pulled the rug from under everybody and got what it wanted now and that was out of the Big Least immediately.