Functionality and System Maintenance Announcements

Rules and Regs for TMN
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator
Status: We got a German here who wants to die for his country! Oblige him!

Re: Functionality and System Maintenance Announcements

Post by Kevin »

I'm going to move the database at 11:00 tonight. The server will probably be up during that time but posts might not save. Our current server is about ready to keel over and die so this has to be done.

It should take no more than 10 minutes.
We will be cruel to Pitt.  And through our cruelty they will know who we are.  And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us.  And Pitt won't be able to help themselves but imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands and our boot heels and the edge of our knives.  And Pitt will be sickened by us.  And Pitt will talk about us.  And Pitt will fear us.
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Ok folks we are on the new server. If you see any issues or run into any errors please let me know ASAP.
We will be cruel to Pitt.  And through our cruelty they will know who we are.  And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us.  And Pitt won't be able to help themselves but imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands and our boot heels and the edge of our knives.  And Pitt will be sickened by us.  And Pitt will talk about us.  And Pitt will fear us.
Tito
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Location: The Senior from Warwood with 4 seconds on his stopped clock.

Post by Tito »

I have an honest question..really. If someone was interested in finding a good WVU message board site, and they had no prior knowledge of any current message boards ..how would they find TMN?
___________________________________________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER-WARNING:
Please be advised that the above post is for amusement only. Any emotional involvement is done so at your own risk. Thanks for your interest. Image
___________________________________________________________________________________

True, Father Time has long and cruelly sodomized me with the splintered haft of his great scythe, but I shall out-live the God-damned lot of you!
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Tito wrote:I have an honest question..really. If someone was interested in finding a good WVU message board site, and they had no prior knowledge of any current message boards ..how would they find TMN?
That's a good question Tito. We do some work with SEO (search engine optimization) but to be perfectly honest with you it hasn't had the attention it deserves. That's on me - recently I've been fighting to get the server on a reliable, inexpensive hosting provider and that takes top priority. I do have a Google Adwords credit that I can use to boost our search engine visibility as well as a plan to increase exposure in natural search. Once the server is settled and I get some new features rolled out I'll be working on increasing site visibility.

Beyond that I know we're working on Twitter and Facebook to increase site visibility. Recently we've had several people join the TMN Facebook page. Social media is a new and powerful tool that we need to leverage.

I hope that gives you a bit of an idea what we're doing and plan to do.
Tito
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Tito »

Kevin wrote:
Tito wrote:I have an honest question..really. If someone was interested in finding a good WVU message board site, and they had no prior knowledge of any current message boards ..how would they find TMN?
That's a good question Tito. We do some work with SEO (search engine optimization) but to be perfectly honest with you it hasn't had the attention it deserves. That's on me - recently I've been fighting to get the server on a reliable, inexpensive hosting provider and that takes top priority. I do have a Google Adwords credit that I can use to boost our search engine visibility as well as a plan to increase exposure in natural search. Once the server is settled and I get some new features rolled out I'll be working on increasing site visibility.

Beyond that I know we're working on Twitter and Facebook to increase site visibility. Recently we've had several people join the TMN Facebook page. Social media is a new and powerful tool that we need to leverage.

I hope that gives you a bit of an idea what we're doing and plan to do.
Thank you Kevin, yes it does explain it. It just had occurred to me that TMN is basically a closed loop- private club with no way anyone can even check it out without joining. It's not searchable/find able other than by word of mouth. I'm the first to realize that my shtick material can get a little stale and I really need some new audience members to fling some shtick at. :rimshot:

DISCLAIMER-WARNING:
Please be advised that the above post is for amusement only. Any emotional involvement is done so at your own risk. Thanks for your interest. Image

True, Father Time has long and cruelly sodomized me with the splintered haft of his great scythe, but I shall out-live the God-damned lot of you!
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

You're correct - we're a closed loop. Google will not index a page inaccessible to the public so since we've shut down the site to anyone but registered guests it makes it hard to get new members. The one page Google will search on our site is the home page, so I'm going to turn it into a portal that will be a gold mine for Google. Hopefully that will help.
Aaron
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Aaron »

There are programs out there that move sites up the list but I'm not sure how they work
WARNING the above post does not reflect my views or the views of TMN in any way.
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Aaron wrote:There are programs out there that move sites up the list but I'm not sure how they work
They aren't any better than someone that knows what they're doing and many of them venture into the gray area where Google can permanently ban your site from their listings.
Tito
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Tito »

Well opening the TMN gates to the unwashed masses does pose some concerns about having miscreants, scofflaws and scoundrels infused in the gene pool here but I guess that's a chance most sites have to deal with. Even now, with the thorough vetting process TMN has in place, it's apparent some scalawags can slip through the cracks. EvenWhenTheyLose is one of the more recent knuckleheads. And that jackfrost person seems a little snarky right off the bat. I'm keeping my eye on a few others too. I'll submit my observations subsequently.

DISCLAIMER-WARNING:

sc-wvu4ever
MVP
MVP

Post by sc-wvu4ever »

He's just nipping at your nose...it's what he does.
From Weirton to Welch and Martinsburg to Matawan the hills resound with sounds of Gold and Blue Football.
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

The reason we closed the site to guests was to help compel people to take a more active part on the site beyond being a lurker. A secondary goal was to be able to track site usage and focus improvements on areas where the most traffic occurred. We saw a huge increase in users (and I think everyone who has signed up) but I'm not sure they are more active than if they were just guests.
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

OHMAHGERD Chat is back!!!
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kevin »

Got some big stuff coming up SOON. Like, tonight if I can get it configured. Be very afraid.
Haydesc
MVP
MVP

Post by Haydesc »

Did the BP go away again?
Tito
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Tito »

Haydesc wrote:Did the BP go away again?
How would one be able to tell?

DISCLAIMER-WARNING: